Friday, May 6, 2011

Too Much Stuff! Introduction

Organized and uncluttered are probably two of the last words anyone close to me would use to describe me. I am one of those messy “organized” people. If Mike needs something out of our filing cabinet, he usually asks me to find it since it is my “filing system”. I also have my own sort of organization system for our office, crafting, and electronic items.

In my Sunday school class, we started doing our weekly lesson from this excellent book called “Too Much Stuff: De-Cluttering Your Heart and Home” by Kathryn Porter. Mrs. Porter has a unique perspective on clutter, which I think is why her book is so good and helpful. I think even organized people can learn something from her. If the book has a question to answer, I will put my answer(for that day) in RED.

A little background on Mrs. Porter is necessary to explain why she is such a wonderful person to write a book like this. Mrs. Porter’s mother died when she was 57 years old. Her official cause of death was ketoacidosis, a condition that can occur. Ketoacidosis is a condition that can occur when a diabetic does not follow the proper medical care.

“Let me not destroy the beauty of today by grieving over yesterday…or worrying about tomorrow. May I cherish and appreciate my shell collection each and every day…for I know not when the tide will come and wash my treasures away.”

Mrs. Porter truly believes that her mother’s love for material possessions contributed to her early death. The amount of clutter increased, and she gradually stopped taking her medication because she lost them.

“For I know the plans I have for you, “ declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11 I think this is an EXCELLENT verse to start this off with because as Mrs. Porter says in her book, “God has great plans for you. He loves you through all the messes you make in life, and not just the ones involving clutter. He knows you’re not perfect, yet He still desires a prominent place in your life. Do not be discourages. For when God is our hope, we know we have a future.”

De-Cluttering My Heart

Lord, forgive me for: (This prayer point is for cleaning your conscience. Confess what is on your mind.) stressing about the stupidest things and not being as calm as I should be in some situations.

Lord, thank you for: (This prayer point is for acknowledging God’s blessing. Develop a thankful heart by finding things to be thankful for and sharing your gratitude.) such sweet(at times) and wonderful children. Having them truly is a blessing!

Lord, help me with: (This prayer point is for asking God’s help in specific areas. Recognize that God will show His strength through your weakness.) my patience levels. Help me to discipline and teach my children in ways that honor you and the way I want to live my life.

De-Cluttering My Home

How does clutter impair my lifestyle? Do I lose things? Do I spend extra money buying items I already have? Think of specific examples. Clutter impairs my lifestyle too much. I stress too much about trying to clean up after the girls and keeping the apartment in a condition that I am not embarrassed with. I don’t lose things as often as I used to, but I can always do better. I do pretty good about not buying extra items, although I do sometimes forget if we have something at home.

What would I do if an unexpected guest knocked on my front door? Would I invite my guest inside? Or would I just happen to be on my way out the door and politely excuse myself? Right now, I would invite the guest in and ask them to excuse the dirty kitchen. The girl’s room, living room, and dining room are clean, but the dishes REALLY need to be done tonight.

How has the too-much-stuff lifestyle affected my relationships? What would I like to change? Having too much stuff has affected my relationships some, because of some past events and people being nosey and judgmental when they shouldn’t have been. I’m not sure what I would like to change, because relationships can be fickle things. They need to be worked on all the time.

I hope reading this has helped you, even if just a little. I will try to put chapter 1 up sometime next week, but we will see when based on my energy levels and how busy we get.

Here is a link to the book, so you can buy it or borrow it from the library or find it somewhere else!

http://www.amazon.com/Too-Much-Stuff-Cluttering-Heart/dp/0834122561

No comments:

Post a Comment